Search This Blog

Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Christian Evidence for God

"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing." -Stephen Hawking

We cannot seem to get beyond understanding God as someone who acts like us. The Greeks created their gods with human flaws.  Even many Christian theologians want to give God human characteristics. Even the brightest minds cannot fathom a world with God if they have never met Him.

We should not be surprised that God's Word should be continually challenged by those who are seeking to make Him irrelevant. They have discovered that it is impossible to prove that He doesn't exist. It is impossible to prove anything doesn't exist. No one can do an exhaustive study in the whole universe. Therefore, it is more likely that they will say that He is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if He exists or not. Everything would be the same anyway.

Their frustration is that they have no clear evidence of God in which they are forced to say that He exists. They want some evidence that is as reproducable as a science experiment. But God does not perform on cue. He does not appear when you think He should. He appears in the most unlikely moments.

Thursday night I went into ICU at a local hospital to pray for a man who had a stroke during the late service this past Sunday. I had prayed for him while the EMTs removed him from our sanctuary. He had a blood vessel that ruptured in his brain. He couldn't move the left side of his body.

He appeared to be getting better but on Thursday took a turn for the worse. He was unresponsive and placed on a resperator. I placed my hand on his arm and prayed. That night the hospital called his wife to tell her that he was responding to all commands. They removed the resperator on Friday and things were looking up. I believe God intervened in this man's life but I know that others could explain his recovery in other ways.

I never suppose that my prayers are powerful. I only know that the God to whom I am praying is powerful. I have no insight or special powers to coerce God into answering my prayers. I just see Him act and praise Him for it.

I suppose I am not much different from Stephen Hawking in wishing that I could have some physical evidence for God. He remains spirit no matter how much I have wanted to know Him physically. He remains soverign no matter how much others try to get Him to perform.

The only way I can relate to God is through my regenerated spirit. That spirit was dead (meaning that it could not respond to God's Spirit). It was made alive by Him. It is through my spirit that I hear God. I know Him in this way and in no other.

People will always seek further evidence for the existence of God in the physical world. They will do studies on prayer and healings. They will challenge the creation of the universe by natural law. They will seek to get God to perform some miracle.

Still, they will find that the true evidence for God will be seen in their own spirits as it relates to the God who is spirit. Yes, God is spirit and He cannot be made less than what He is. Our relationship to Him is all that we should need to know the great I AM.

John 4:24 (NIV)
24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.