Search This Blog

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Don't Listen to a Gossip!

I went to the YMCA early this morning to work out. I have been on their FitLinxx program for a couple of months. I like it because I use machines that tell me exactly what to do, if I am doing it correctly and what I need to do next. The machines are fairly quiet so I can hear conversations around me. Some conversations can't be missed even when you try.

One man said to another man, "Does your daughter go to (a local high school)?"

"No," was the reply, "She goes to (a different local high school)."

"Well," said the first man, "I heard that the new principal is . . . ." He continued to make damaging statements bout the new principal. He had obviously never met this new principal. He was relaying a message he had heard. He then gave his disclaimer, "Of course, this is just one man's opinion."

This is gossip that comes from the pit of hell.

Who says that men don't gossip?!

Why tell the story if it is merely "one man's opinion?" Why tear someone down that you have never met? Why make a statement like this so loudly that I can hear?

I looked at the man making the statement. I wanted to remember him so that I would never do business with him. I never want an employee like him. Gossip comes from and goes down into the innermost parts of a person. This man lacks integrity.

What if what he said is true? What if the principal's character was exactly as he alleged? It makes no difference. He is still carry at tale to hurt someone. That's gossip-plain and simple.

Don't listen to gossips. You will carry their words with you if you do. These words will become a part of you if you embrace their words.

Then one day you will be saying, "Let me tell you what I heard . . . ."

Proverbs 18:8 (NIV)
8  The words of a gossip are like choice morsels; they go down to a man's inmost parts.

No comments: