Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Bargaining with Thieves

About fifteen months ago our church ended its contract with Verizon Wireless. They had given us good service but they were much more expensive than Sprint. We talked with them but they would not meet Sprint's price for what we needed. They weren't even close.

Sprint told us that they would transfer our numbers and end our agreement with Verizon. They did. However, Verizon decided to continue to charge us even though we had fulfilled our contract agreements. They sent bills for a couple of months which we refuted. They said we still had a phone on the agreement but they could not give me the phone number. They told me that they could not talk to anyone but the authorized person to discuss the bill. They said it was the pastor. I told them that I was the pastor and if they would give me my name I would be glad to talk with them. They couldn't. They told me that Sprint had not canceled our contract yet there were no phones under contract. Their lies astounded me. They never proved to me that we owed them anything. I refused to pay. They cut the bill in half and said they were willing to take that much. I told them that I refuse to pay any amount that we didn't owe.

I honestly believe that Verizon's computer continued to spit out the bills because someone didn't cancel our service. They, however, proved themselves unscrupulous in their manner of rectifying the error. They have given this bill to collections who don't care anymore than Verizon whether or not they have been accurate in their billing.

The Bible says that partnering with a thief will result in the thief failing to live up to the agreement. It also says that I am guilty of the crime committed if I remain silent about it. Therefore, this blog tells of our story. I have no desire to hurt Verizon or any of their employees. I just don't want them hurting anyone else.

You have an obligation to tell others when you notice harmful behavior. You have a responsibility to testify to the wrong committed. If you don't, you are bargaining with the thieves. You are partners with them.

Leviticus 5:1 (NIV)
1 "'If a person sins because he does not speak up when he hears a public charge to testify regarding something he has seen or learned about, he will be held responsible.

Proverbs 29:24 (NASB)
24 He who is a partner with a thief hates his own life; He hears the oath but tells nothing.

No comments: