Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Why Does the Bible Call Us Saints When We Are Such Sinners?

I know that I sin. Is this the qualification for being a sinner?

Yet, the Bible says that I am a saint. Could it be that the definition of a saint still involves a person who sins? It must, if I am called a saint. I need to have a different definition of a saint.

The Bible doesn't define saint. We must understand it in the context of how the word is used in order to formulate a definition.

A saint is one of God's redeemed people. A person does not become a saint because of his works. The saint has no merit of his own. A person is made a saint because God has made them such.

Redemption comes from belief. A person trusts in the Lord Jesus and receives Him. This person has the spirit of Christ within him. The spirit of Christ possesses the saint so that he cannot be lost. Remaining a saint is the work of Christ within the saint.

The saint are faithful to God's word. It does not mean that the saint is perfect for the saint may sin. The saint is always called back to His Word. The saint is reminded by the Spirit when the Word is violated. The saint may fail but cannot remain a failure when concerning God's Word for the Spirit will take the saint home before He will allow the saint to sin beyond redemption.

The saint grows in his relationship and likeness to Christ. It is his calling to do so. It is a continual change. The saint knows his Lord better and becomes like Him as God will not allow the saint to remain in the condition he was in before redemption.

The saint is called upon to judge other people within the church. It is not his duty to judge those on the outside of the church but on the inside. He does so gently and carefully but still judges for the purpose of brining them back into the fellowship.

Therefore, I can be called a saint. I am not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. I am a saint by the grace of my Lord. I am a saint because He holds onto me. I am a saint because He has set me aside for His own possession. Yes, I am a saint.

Romans 8:27 (NIV)
27  And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will.

1 comment:

Ljboogey said...

Prentis, I like this post. I too am from Tx...Navasota to be exact. I know where Cameron is and I know you are rooted in God's word. I don't live there anymore. I'm in South Florida now. The only thing I hated about Tx was the racist ways of those people that's tried to hang on to the old guard. I really believe that God has a remnant in Tx. It sounds as if you may be one of them...be blessed!