Search This Blog

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Faith Must Be Experienced

The women who had gone to put spices on the dead body of Jesus came back from the tomb excited. They told the disciples that they had seen an angel. The angel said that Jesus had been risen. The disciples thought this was silly talk.

Still, Peter and John take off running to the tomb to see for themselves. John, the younger of the two, caught Peter but did not go into the tomb. Peter goes in, sees the burial clothing and leaves marveling. He certainly didn't expect this. Who would have thought that Jesus would be resurrected?

Jesus had told His disciples that this would happen but it didn't make sense at the time. Maybe they thought all His talk of a resurrection was allegorical. Surely He couldn't mean that He would actually die and come back to life.

As they say, "The proof is in the pudding!" Meeting Jesus after His death and resurrection changed everything. It had to be experienced. It had to be seen with their own eyes.

Nothing has really changed. We either meet Jesus personally or we talk about someone known by others. We experience Him and our lives are changed. He comes to live within us.

Then, the resurrection makes sense.

I serve a living savoir; He's in the world today; I know that He is living whatever men may say; I see His hand of mercy, I hear His voice of cheer, and just the time I need Him, He's always near. He lives, He lives, Christ Jesus lives today! He walks with me and talks with me along life's narrow way. He lives, He lives, salvation to impart! You ask me how I know He lives; He lives within my heart.

Matthew 28:7 (NIV)
7 Then go quickly and tell his disciples: 'He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him.' Now I have told you."

No comments: