Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Do Children Understand a Parent's Devotion?

Yesterday my heart sank as I watched my daughter walk down to her apartment. My wife and I had spent five days in Cairo, Egypt. We saw a lot of incredible sites but she was the real reason we came. My heart hurt because I knew I wouldn't see her again for several months.

I am very proud of her. She teaches school in Cairo. I think she is very brave to leave the security of the US to go to a foreign country that is so very different from what most Americans will ever experience. She will leave and teach in another country next year. I am glad she does this. I only wish I could see her more often.

As she walked away I thought of how God feels when we walk away from Him. Unlike my daughter and me God can always be with His children. The only separation comes when His children walk away from Him. How much of a hurt is it for God if I leave Him for a bad reason if I hurt when my daughter leaves me for a good reason? I can't imagine.

I believe God wanted me to learn this lesson. His devotion to me is immeasurable. I can't really understand it.

I do understand my devotion to my children. I don't think it is possible for them to understand it either. I know I never understood it of my parents but I am starting to grasp a small part of what God feels.

1 John 3:1a (NIV)
How great is the love the Father has lavished on us that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!

No comments: