Search This Blog

Thursday, March 21, 2024

Grace that Covers All Our Sins

March 22, 2024

Friday

Yesterday, I told a group of people about a sin I committed before I was a Christian. I told the story as if I wasn't responsible for the sin. After all, I wasn't a Christian. I realized later that I am responsible for that sin. It doesn't matter that it was before I knew Christ. It doesn't even matter that I didn't know it was a sin at the time.

Have we thought that sin isn't sin if we aren't aware that it is sin? Do I get to tell the traffic cop that I was unaware of the speed limit and am, therefore, not responsible? If I say something that hurts someone else, am I off the hook because I didn't know they were listening?

This morning two vehicles almost hit me as I rode my bicycle here. One was a garbage truck that was pulling out of a parking lot. The other was a minivan pulling out of a fast-food restaurant's drive through window. I was riding my bicycle on the sidewalk. They looked left only and not right where I was. The garbage truck stopped at the last second. The minivan kept going as I slid on my brakes. I am confident that each of these drivers were taught to look both ways before pulling onto a road. They were unaware I was there. I would have been just as injured whether they were unaware or not.

Before we come to Christ, we may be unaware of our sins. They are still not excusable. They must be forgiven by the sacrifice of Jesus. We weren't such good people that Jesus died for us. We were such sinners that Jesus died for us. The fact that I wasn't a Christian when I committed some of my sins makes no difference. They are why Jesus died for me as much as the sins I have committed since.

So, before brushing off the sins BC (before Christ), we should realize the grace given to us. We are saved from the condemnation of sin. It began with a commitment to Christ as we realized He died for our sins.

Leviticus 5:17 (NASB 2020) 17 “Now if a person sins and does any of the things which the Lord has commanded not to be done, though he was unaware, he is still guilty and shall bear his punishment.

No comments: