Search This Blog

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Sometimes You Just Need a Good Day

Last night Sandi Patty did a concert at our church. I worshiped the Lord and He was here. (Maybe I have that backwards.) It was an extremely good day for me. I needed it.

We haven't had anyone join our church in weeks. That is not something I am used to. Very few people have declared Christ as their Savior. Of course, I have examined myself. I have prayed. I have sought the Lord. Nothing has happened.

All churches have a small number of complainers.I am not talking about those who complain about something. I am talking about those whose character is that of complaining. They rarely say anything good. It reveals a darkness in them. These people have gotten more bold during the dry period our church has had. Each complaint has weighed me down.

Then,  last night, I had a very good day.

And you know what story came to mind? The story of Lazarus coming out of the tomb. Just think of it.

Mary and Martha had a good day. They sent for Jesus when Lazarus was sick but he died around the time the messengers got to Jesus. Jesus knew this wasn't the end for Lazarus. He knew there was a good day coming. but Mary and Martha only believed that Jesus could heal. They didn't understand Him bringing Lazarus back from the dead. Can you imagine what it was like to see their tears turned to laughter when Lazarus walks out of the tomb?

Lazarus had a good day. I have never been dead but I am sure that you must miss those you love for a little while at least. He came back to walk among the people again. He must have realized his return would be a glory to God. Just think. He could come back and critique his own funeral. I know it never happens when this scene is depicted in movies but I can see Lazarus laughing too. He had a good day.

The mourners had a good day. They hadn't sent for Jesus. Most of them must have assumed that Lazarus is dead. That's it. There's no more to say. They didn't know that anyone could come back. No one ever had before. I'll bet some of them were scared out of their minds. I bet some fell on their knees or raised their arms to heaven in praise to God. They had a good day.

In fact, the only ones who didn't have a good day were those who didn't want God to be glorified. They didn't want God to act. They had a bad day.

Lazarus was dead for four days. Those days were very dark. It was thought that there was no recovery for those days. But just when I think it is the dark night that never ends, God shows up and I glorify Him.

And it is a very good day.

John 11:43-45 (ESV)
43 When he had said these things, he cried out with a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out.” 44 The man who had died came out, his hands and feet bound with linen strips, and his face wrapped with a cloth. Jesus said to them, “Unbind him, and let him go.” 45 Many of the Jews therefore, who had come with Mary and had seen what he did, believed in him,

4 comments:

Craig Godfrey said...

Sandi Patti? Is she still around?

I had a cassette of hers in the 80's when I was only...mumble mumble...

Now, that would give me a good day as well!



Created to Give God Glory said...

Yes, she has a new album and our church was the first concert on her new tour. She didn't give us a concert though. She led us in an amazing worship. I know that God is always with me but sometimes I have to be reminded. She did that and I am very appreciative.

Craig Godfrey said...

Sounds amazing.

Just googled her, didn't realise she was part of the Bill Gaither fraternity. Her voice is 100 times better than back in the day.

Hmmm...I wonder if she would appreciate being mentioned alongside Lazarus being raised from the dead, though... ;)

Created to Give God Glory said...

I never thought of it that way. It is funny. I think she would too. I admit she was the most personable person I have met. She acts as if the person she is talking to is the most important person in the room. It is an amazing gift.