Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Let's Face it, God's Word Is Offensive to the World

I see a addition problem in which the solver has written 2 + 2 = 6. Should I point out that the answer is wrong? Will that be perceived as an act of hate?

I decide to point it out and I am told that the number "4" has been eliminated in their system. It was replaced with the symbol "6." I am looked down upon because I am not as enlightened. I am said to be closed minded because I will not accept this new system.

We communicate and unite with values. The elimination of common values results in a failure of communication and disunity (chaos). Thus, you will have an increasingly divided people who cannot communicate with each other. In fact, many people will not know how to respond to those with whom they cannot communicate. Hatred is a common reaction.

Don't you think it is peculiar that those who call others haters are doing so with such vehemence that you would have to identify them as haters too?

Where do values come to rest when long held standards are forgotten? When does a society begin to accept a man being united to his daughter or a woman united to her son? Can we really say that this is perversion when this union may be based on love? Didn't society at one time determine that some relationships were wrong that are accepted as normal now?

The real problem is that we have made our own social network's morality our own. We have no standard on which we can rest. Therefore, no one knows what will be counted as "normal" in the future.

I predict that society will grow farther are farther apart. Those who seek after God and obey His word will be outcasts. The Bible says that there will be people who will consider the Bible offensive. Those who follow it will be deemed offensive as well.

Being a Christian will mean something again when differences become clear. Those who follow  the Word of God will love it. They will read it and obey it. They will pray it, say it and meditate on it. They will know it so well that misquoting it will be obvious. Christians will truly be able to give a reason for the hope that is within them.

So, while I understand that being a Christian is going to be costly, I am encouraged that those who call themselves Christians will have a good reason for doing so. The gospel has always flourished under persecution. True testimonies have always been powerful.

Jeremiah 6:10 (ESV) 10 To whom shall I speak and give warning, that they may hear? Behold, their ears are uncircumcised, they cannot listen; behold, the word of the Lord is to them an object of scorn; they take no pleasure in it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very Thoughtful Prentice. I'm reminded of a quote from the late Dr. Francis Schaeffer...

"Truth always carries with it confrontation. Truth demands confrontation; loving confrontation nevertheless. If our reflex action is always accommodation regardless of the centrality of the truth involved, there is something wrong."

Anonymous said...

If not careful, the Word may even be classified as hate literature!
And we read this in Matt 10:22 - and you will be hated by all for my name's sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved.
I surely do not welcome persecution, but if it comes, I hope I can endure to the end.

Anthony Chia, high.expressions

Anonymous said...

I nodded thru this post. As I read, I thought about the fact that as Christians, our error has been to think we should seem normal, not offending, and thereby winning some to Christ.

But normalcy ought not be our goal. We are meant to be His peculiar people...and if we do it right, we will be getting more peculiar as each day passes! (It's not hard to be peculiar when the most perverse behavior is considered normal.)

Unexpectedly, I ended this post with a smile on my face. :) You led us right thru the dis-ease of not fitting in to seeing our peculiarity as a good thing.

And it is a good thing. More of us should try it.

I hope you had a blessed Easter. He is risen!

Deb