Search This Blog

Friday, May 27, 2011

What Do You Do When You Know What to Do?

Many times I say that I don't know what to do when I really do. What I need to do is difficult and I am looking for any other means of getting where I need to be. I desperately want another solution. I want something easy and convenient. I want something that won't cost as much.

So, I wait for the other solution that never comes. Meanwhile, lost opportunities pass by while I fold my hands and hope for something easy.

Let's face it: Life is not always easy. It is those who make the hard decisions and carry them out who are rewarded.

Of course that doesn't mean that I should act like a bull in a china closet either. Prudence has value but it isn't prudence when I already know what I need to do.

I must admit that I am not alone in avoiding the unpopular decisions. Congress knows that we can't sustain our spending but chooses to demonize anyone who comes up with a solution rather than coming up with their own solution. It is much more popular to increase spending than to cut spending but this is a decision which has already been made. The numbers will not add up no matter which side of the aisle members of congress reside. Each one should know what needs to be done but many refuse to do so. I guess peer pressure and popularity aren't just middle school problems.

I am relieved each time I do the difficult things. I spend way too much time worrying over the difficulties and forget the benefits of doing what I know I must do. The relief comes because the pressure to do what needed to be done has increased as I waited. The progression of many things in life depend upon carrying out difficult decisions.

It costs so much more to wait.

What do you do when you know what to do? You just do it.

Proverbs 6:10-11 (NIV) 10 A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest-- 11 and poverty will come on you like a bandit and scarcity like an armed man.

No comments: