Search This Blog

Monday, May 16, 2011

No, I Am Not Tolerant

It seems that we have made tolerance a virtue. In fact, it is a greater virtue than holding to the truth.

Years ago I taught a series on the common theologies which were infecting our faith. I quoted statements and gave the names of those who said them. I explained why these teachings were wrong and the evils they espoused. The problem was that each of the people I mentioned were well known televangelists who were well known. I suspect that many of those who heard my teaching were supporting these "preachers."

Onc of the deacons came to me and told me that this was the most evil thing he had ever heard in church. I said, "Yes, what these people is truly evil." I knew he meant that what I said was evil but I wanted him to know that I considered this "teaching" from televangelists for their own personal gain was the true evil. He thought we should all be tolerant of each other and accept any theology that calls itself Christian.

There is no virtue in tolerance over falsely teaching doctrine. Sure, there are some things that we may not agree on which we remain in fellowship but the deity of Christ, the Virgin Birth,  the historicity of the miracles, the authority of the Bible, the resurrection and the substitutionary atonement of Christ blood for our sins are not debatable. Those who claim to be as much the son of God as Jesus, who add to Scripture and deny the Trinity are heretics. Their teaching must be exposed with the truth.

A friend once told me that people in front of him at a theater responded to his audible sigh at a depiction of homosexuality with, "Some people are just not tolerant!" I told him, "Next time respond by asking, 'Are you intolerant at my lack of tolerance?'" You see, those who claim to be tolerant are really not tolerant at all. They want to demonize those who confront their pseudo-values.

We need to gently correct other Christians who have gone astray. We need to sharply rebuke those who teach heresy.

No, I am not tolerant and neither is the Bible.


Titus 1:10-14 (ESV)
10 For there are many who are insubordinate, empty talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision party. 11 They must be silenced, since they are upsetting whole families by teaching for shameful gain what they ought not to teach.  12 One of the Cretans, a prophet of their own, said, “Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons.”  13 This testimony is true. Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith,  14 not devoting themselves to Jewish myths and the commands of people who turn away from the truth.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous." Rom. 2:13 Paul does not offer any tolerance either.

Anonymous said...

Amen to this post!

Louise in MI

Anonymous said...

HJustto say thank you for this interesting article! =) Peace, Joy.