Search This Blog

Sunday, February 7, 2010

How Can We Say We Love Those Who So Easily Anger Us?

Okay, the Bible doesn't say that we can never get angry. Jesus got angry. God, the Father, got angry. Being angry doesn't eliminate love.

The Bible says that love is not easily angered. That's the problem because I am much more likely to get angry quickly at those whom I claim to love the most. Why is that?

I am not sure. I wonder if its because I am not afraid of losing their love so I feel as if I can get angry with impunity. You see, I can get angry with them and they will take me back. Therefore, I will get angry without fearing I have lost anything.

Yet, that is not love. That maybe protecting my rights or my feelings or responding to a violation of my values but it is not love. It comes waaaay too quickly. It comes before there is an explanation of why I am angry. It often comes viciously. 

Unfortunately, it reveals my heart. Not because I don't love these people but because it shows my own selfishness is more important than my love. True love will get angry at times but for the sake of righteousness, not selfishness. Righteous anger takes time to develop.

You know, I would show a whole lot more love if I merely waited before opening my mouth when I respond to those I love. Often I would keep my mouth completely shut if I would realize the love I have for the person before I responded.

Love sometimes gets angry, but not so easily.

1 Corinthians 13:5 (NIV)
5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

No comments: