Search This Blog

Monday, September 28, 2020

Who Are You Supporting?

2 Timothy 4:3 (ESV) 3  For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, 

For years I have been critical of the heretical preachers. They take scripture out of context, bend and abuse it to suit their desires and present their messages in such exciting ways that no one notices what they are doing. At least, that's what I thought they were doing.

There would be no heretical preachers if people would know and commit themselves to the truth of God's Word. There are people in my own church who unashamedly tell me that they listen to some of these heretics. When I point out their heresy, they simply say, "Well, I just like what they say." In other words, I don't care what God's Word says, I want to hear magic words that will give me success, make me rich, heal me and let me live above everyone else.

I remember pointing out in detail many of the heresies being preached one time when I was told that I did one of the most evil things that was done in church. It was evil because it disagreed with what they wanted to believe. (Sounds like what is happening in politics, too.) 

The influence of the world captures people without their knowing. Their minds become what the world is. The world seeks heaven on earth in the flesh. The pull of being like the world is tremendous. Being godly means not participating in many worldly things. It means being left out and given undue criticism. It is so much easier to go along.

Those who do not have a quiet time with God each day when they read His Word, pray and make a new commitment find themselves walking with the world. The world will conform even the most committed if they take no steps to break this conformity.

There is a problem with heretical preachers, but the greater problem is those who seek after these preachers. It is the responsibility of every committed believer to make sure that he or she has held true to God's Word. This is standing up at the root level of our faith.

I will still point out the heresies. I will also urge believers to break away from the world through the power of the Holy Spirit working in God's Word. If believers stop supporting the heretics, the heretics will find a different show to put on and a different people to prey on.

No comments: