Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Old Words Often Repeated

 Psalm 23:1-6 (ESV) 1

 The LORD is my shepherd; 
    I shall not want. 
2  He makes me lie down in green pastures. 
    He leads me beside still waters. 
3  He restores my soul. 
    He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. 
4  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, 
    I will fear no evil, for you are with me; 
    your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 
5  You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
    you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 
6  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, 
    and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

These are very familiar words to many of us. We have read them so many times that they have become memorized. We have read them in perfunctory ways at funerals and as scripture readings in worship services. These are the times that these words mean very little because we are reading them because they are supposed to be read. They are the proper words that people often fail to hear.

There are other times we read these words with desperation. We need to know that the Lord cares, provides, restores, protects and rewards us. There are times we find ourselves in a dark room with no light. There has been no light for so long that we start believing that light itself is just a myth. So, we read these words and the light returns.

Many times we don't need empty words of assurances that people often give us. They say things will get better as if they know. But they don't know and we know they don't know. We nod our heads and agree because there is no real reason to refute what they have said. They say things out of their hopes and compassion.

The 23rd Psalm is an assurance from the Lord rather than empty hope from well-meaning friends. The Psalm is solid. It has stood the test of time. It has given true hope when we were desperate for hope.

So, read the old words again. And maybe again and again. And as you do let the words sink in. "The Lord is my Shepherd . . . ."

No comments: