Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 29, 2020

When People Quit the Ministry

 2 Corinthians 11:23-28 (ESV) 23  Are they servants of Christ? I am a better one—I am talking like a madman—with far greater labors, far more imprisonments, with countless beatings, and often near death. 24  Five times I received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one. 25  Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I was adrift at sea; 26  on frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from robbers, danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brothers; 27  in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless night, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure. 28  And, apart from other things, there is the daily pressure on me of my anxiety for all the churches.

For years I believed the myth that 1700 pastors leave the ministry each month. It simply isn't true. The true number is 250. While I still grieve over the 250 that's remarkably better than than what I formerly believed. About 1% of pastors leave the ministry each month. Not all of them leave because the work is tough. Several leave because of their moral failures. Some leave because of medical reasons. Most pastors aren't quitters because they deeply understand their calling.

That being said, the future will probably be more difficult than the past. The US is following the pattern of many other countries. There are fewer believers and, thus, more opposition to the gospel. Those who think faith is a sham want it eliminated. There have been municipalities who have banned churches in certain areas because the property owned by churches does not produce tax revenue. Many people do not see the benefit of a church or a people of faith existing in their neighborhoods. Even some politicians are speaking against faith nowadays. That was something that was completely unheard of just a few years ago. 

It is likely that some of the messages given by preachers will be labeled "hate" speech in the next few years. I could tell some people didn't like that I said Jesus was the only means of salvation in a sermon this past week. It was never intended to be a criticism of others. It was to awaken the church to tell the gospel story. Yet, some would say that it was intended to condemn those who aren't in the Christian church. The church won't be the final judge. Condemnation already rests on those who refuse Christ.

I spoke with a fellow pastor yesterday who said he wished he could just hunker down and bide his time without engaging the people outside the church in the criticism and future persecution. He knew he couldn't but wasn't looking forward to these difficulties either. That is because he understands his calling.

Those who quit may be tired. They have fought hard only to find that they are getting less and less for their hard work. They have prayed and have seen no growth in their churches. They have watched others using marketing techniques and gimmicks steal members from their churches. They cry out to God "How long?!" but hear nothing. They want a break.

However, when I look at all the things that Paul went through I wonder if I would have been so faithful. I know I don't want to be counted among those who quit because things got tough. But I can't help but question my own commitment if things got as tough as they did for Paul. What kept him going? I suppose the experience on the Damascus road was pretty convincing.

Do we all need a Damascus road experience to be so committed? To this I say, "Not exactly." We don't need to be blinded and spoken to in such a supernatural way. We do need to know that our calling to receive the Lord Jesus included a commitment of our lives. We do need to realize that our faith will be proven when we go through difficult times.

Those who quit either didn't make that commitment or they have forgotten their commitment. I believe we must keep this in mind in the days ahead. Let's not be counted among those who quit because times got tough.  

No comments: