Search This Blog

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Greatest Comes out of Humility

I suppose I have tried to be humble because I know that God gives grace to humble but opposes the proud. I need His grace. I have no great natural qualities that would allow me to do anything significant in my life. I am not especially smart, handsome or charismatic. My voice is far from mellifluous.  I am short in stature and I often stutter when I speak. Yet, even all these special qualities haven't made me humble.

God does great things with humble people. He allowed Joseph (Old Testament) to be thrown in a pit by his brothers, sold into slavery and falsely accused into prison before he would become the second in command in Egypt. Samson was blinded and a slave before he accomplished his greatest feat. Peter denied his Lord. Paul was blinded on the Damascus Road. And consider Moses:

Numbers 12:3 (NIV)
3  (Now Moses was a very humble man, more humble than anyone else on the face of the earth.) 


Think of the greatness of this man!

What is humility? I believe it is setting aside yourself for someone more important. It is seeing that someone as more important than yourself. In fact, it is not elevating yourself or promoting yourself. It is knowing that everyone else has something to contribute rather than trying to do it all on your own. It is really believing these things. Acting humble does not necessarily make you humble.

Few people will pray for humility because they know that God may just give it to them. He may allow them to become blind, infirm or suffer loss after loss until humility appears. Many people would like to be humble if they didn't have to go through the process of getting there.

What can God do with a humble person? He can lead a nation, bring a whole people out of oppression and start a spiritual awakening to His presence and His will that will encompass the world.

I want to be humble, but I am not really humble yet. I believe God would do great things if I was.

No comments: