Search This Blog

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Not of This World

I have a friend from Scotland that I see from time to time. When I am with him I often mimic his Scottish accent. He knows it doesn't sound Scottish but the Americans around us don't know. Those that don't know me think I am from Scotland too. Of course, I tell them it is merely a game I play with my friend. If I keep up the accent, they are not so sure.

You see, I can act like I am from a place even if I'm not. We took a vacation once to Naples, Florida when my daughters were in elementary school. One day we drove around some extremely wealthy neighborhoods and pretended that we were so rich that our gardners, butlers and maids lived in these houses. We laughed a lot as we made up these stories but we never dreamed that they were the truth. It is absolutely necessary to know the difference between the truth of who you are and what you are pretending.

Many Christians get mixed up when it comes to being of this world. We live in this world and we assume we are of it but we are no more a member of this neighborhood than my daughters and I were of the neighborhood in Naples. We have been moved and cannot claim this place as our home any more. It does not contain our future. It is merely a place to live until we are ready to go home.

Many Christians act convincingly that this is their home. They fake the accent very well. They talk as if they are from here. In fact, they have done so well that they believe it themselves. Their accent comes out in their worries, fears and anxieties who are at home in this world. Thus, they are tossed about with every wind of crisis; with every storm which threatens their lives in this world.

This world considers wealth, fame, power and beauty as its greatest values. These things are always in danger. They come and go for everyone in this world. Thus, this world lives in fear. Home is found in the values of this world for those of this world.

Christians do not have those values. Christians value the relationship they have with the Lord Jesus. They seek His face as the greatest accomplishment. They know that nothing in this world can ultimately harm them. They know it is temporary. They know that any investment made in this world will come to an end. They know that the investment made in their eternal home will last forever.

Most people are looking for peace. They will not find it in this world.

As believers, we are not of this world and thus we do not attempt to have the false peace that this world tries to sell us. We have His peace.

We simply are not of this world.

John 14:27 (NIV) 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. 

John 17:15-16 (NIV) 15 My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) I timely message for me, sad to say. I have very little trouble not being fussed up about the kinds of things you listed--and I've been thru enough economic upheaval to have that statement tested and proved! (My husband was a steelworker...there were layoffs, strikes, rumors of closed plants... You know, when the steel belt turned into the "Rust belt.") so, I'm good with all of that.

But, there are some things that cause anxiety to rise. Like yesterday, when my 5 year old granddaughter told me some things that caused me to know that she had been molested by her sister.

I fell asleep last night praying and when I opened my eyes this morning, that situation was the first thing I thought of after I told the Lord good morning.

Weeping before my feet even hit the floor is not the best way to start a day.

I logged onto Bible Gateway, and the following "Verse of the Day" reminded me that God is aware of me, understands my emotions, and is up for the task. God is good.

“When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your unfailing love, LORD, supported me. WHEN ANXIETY WAS GREAT WITHIN ME, your consolation brought me joy.” Psalm 94:18-19 NIV

Your post joins the chorus reminding me that God is in control.

Deb

Created to Give God Glory said...

Yes, He is. I, too, will pray for you.

He must trust you a great deal for He allows you to walk a path that will be a tremendous testimony. People really don't consider our faith until they see us go through a crisis. They can't understand how you can continue to trust in God when "all hell breaks loose."

You are a testimony to the Lord.

Prentis