Search This Blog

Friday, August 19, 2011

Would You Be Satisfied with the Lord Alone?

This morning I reflected the concept of seeking the face of the Lord while riding my bicycle to work. I came to McDonald's for an Egg McMuffin. I like to come here to write my blog because their music is so bad that I don't hear it at all. I watch those around me as I write.

One gentleman acted rudely as he gave his order.  He ate his meal despondently and left. Two older men were very glad to see each other. I have seen them meet here for breakfast several times. They are good friends. It isn't hard to tell.

This is just a place to get something to eat for most people. They come by themselves, eat rapidly and leave. It has no meaning to them at all. They will not be able to remember that they ate here tomorrow.

The majority of the business is drive-thru. These are base runners. They have to tag this base on the way to somewhere else. They won't even notice what they are eating on their way to wherever they are going.

Are any of these people satisfied. McDonald's placed a bell on the counter to be rung if customers feel they have received good service. I haven't heard the bell ring yet. What kind of service would make people ring the bell? I wonder if people are ever satisfied. I didn't ring the bell either.

I am a great believer in ambition. I believe we should continue to improve what we are doing. I believe we can do more than we have done; can be more than we have been. Yet, I understand that I should also know satisfaction. This satisfaction cannot be a lethargic reaction to my dismal state of self righteousness. It must be a satisfaction in the Lord for there is nothing more than Him.  I can want more in all other areas of my life but I cannot seek more than His face. In His face I shall receive satisfaction.

I look around and do not see the faces of satisfaction. I see the worry; the frazzled faces of people who are just trying to make two ends meet without enough rope. They look like I do much of the time- thinking that this world will satisfy me. Each new accomplishment, provision of money or moment of rest is followed by the desire for more  of each of these. This world cannot provide true lasting satisfaction. I am deluded when I think it can.

So, I seek His likeness; His face. I want to go into His presence.  Then, I am truly satisfied.

Funny, but just now, the bell rung at McDonalds. (I am not making this up!) What timing!


Psalm 11:7 (ESV)
7 For the LORD is righteous; he loves righteous deeds; the upright shall behold his face.




Psalm 17:15 (ESV)
15 As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness.

No comments: