Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Fighting the Good Fight

 October 9, 2024

Wednesday

In an offhand remark this past Sunday I said, "People want me to read that their dad fought the good fight, finished the course and kept the faith when they never entered the fight, never ran and certainly had little to show for their faith." Last night someone said I didn't repeat that in both services. It was an offhand remark. I didn't plan to say it in the first place. I didn't think of saying it in the second place. But after I was reminded that I didn't repeat it in the second service, I thought about it.

I had never realized that those who ask me to read that about their dads (I can't remember anyone asking for anyone else.) do not realize what Paul is talking about. They apparently think that Paul is talking about life in general. Thus, life is a fight; it is a course and the faith is the strength to get through it. They cannot understand this statement because they are too far outside its meaning.

When you fly, flight attendants often pass through the cabin giving drinks to the passengers. I believe that it gives the passengers something to do. It isn't enough to really satisfy any hunger. If anyone really thought of it, they would realize they were over 30,000 feet above the ground in a long metal tube in a thin atmosphere with the temperature hovering around 50 degrees below zero just a few feet from them. The thought of that is too far outside what the passengers are thinking for most of them to think of it. I guess snacking on a half of a can of a soft drink and munching on the smallest possible bag of chips helps.

Interpretation comes from things that are known. There must be a connection between the things known and the things interpreted. When someone lives completely outside of spiritual understanding, scripture is interpreted by the secular world. The Holy Spirit interprets God's word for those who are spiritual. The world does it for those who are not.

The Apostle Paul gave his life to Christ and lived it for God's glory. He went where God led him and did what God called and led him to do. He did so when things were good and when they would have broken most people. He lived his life so that there would be nothing left at the end. Thus, he fought the good fight, finished the course and kept the faith. The faith of Paul was more than a cliche'. It was a reality.

I want to say to people who read this verse, "Tell me about the fight that you are in to obey the Lord; the course you are taking and the faith you are espousing." Yes, tell me how you have suffered for it. Then, maybe you can say what Paul said. Otherwise, you may have lived your life for what you thought was right but it wasn't for the Lord.

2 Timothy 4:7 (ESV) 7  I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.  

No comments: