Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

How Important Is Eternity?

I don't believe the average Christian gets it. They will give to feed the poor but not give to save the lost. They will walk miles to raise money for breast cancer and not even bother to cross the street to tell their neighbors about Christ. They will pray ernestly for the ninety-eight year old to come through surgery but won't pray for the eight year old to trust in Christ.

Every thing I mentioned about was good. I have given to feed the poor, walked to raise money for breast cancer and prayed for the elderly (though not always that they would live longer). There is nothing wrong with those things but we must put them in perspective. Every person who is fed, every person who has had breast cancer and every person old or young will die someday. They will be ushered into eternity. They will all stand before God regardless if they had full stomachs, were healed of cancer or came through surger to live longer on this earth.

Everyone will know the importance of eternity as they stand before the Lord. Their sins will condemn them. Only Jesus stands between them and an eternity in hell.

Jesus called His disciples by offering them the ability to become "fishers of men." We don't know how much these disciples understood this when they accepted the call but we know what they understood later. Evidence reveals that they gave their lives to spreading the gospel story. The only one who wasn't martyred was John who was exiled. They unrelentingly kept sharing the gospel even though they were threatened, beaten, imprisoned and killed. They got it. They understood the importance of eternity.

The Apostle Paul was so concerned about the Jews that he offered his own life in exchange for their salvation. Why would he do so if he thought that hell was a termporary setback. He knew that each person exists into eternity He knew that hell is horrible. He knew that it wouldn't end.

We too must be desperate for people to come to Christ. Eternity is forever.

Romans 9:1-3 (ESV)
1 I am speaking the truth in Christ—I am not lying; my conscience bears me witness in the Holy Spirit— 2 that I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. 3 For I could wish that I myself were accursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, my kinsmen according to the flesh.


No comments: