Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Fan the Flame of Your Spiritual Gift

 May 8, 2024

Wednesday

Its amazing how much more sense scripture makes when verses are placed in their context. Too many times I have taken 2 Timothy 1:6 alone or 2 Timothy 1:7 alone without relating them to each other. When set next to each other they present a total picture.

2 Timothy 1:6–7 (NASB 2020) 6 For this reason I remind you to kindle afresh the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands. 7 For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline.

When someone is engaged in the moment of accomplishment, factors that would normally prevent them from acting are ignored. For example, a person fully engaged in a project may lose all track of time. The project may have been rejected before it is engaged. I have worked into the night installing a TV on a wall or a built-in microwave oven or working on a computer. Once I have engaged in the task, I am oblivious to time or even injury. I notice the blood on my knuckles but cannot tell when I injured myself. The concentration on the task does not allow for these distractions.

When a Christian is fully using his or her spiritual gift the same occurs. It comes to life like a flame and burns brighter with each moment. It exudes the essence of the Spirit that is power and love and a sound mind. It does not shy away from the task at hand. No other course is considered.

I especially notice this when I allow the Spirit to preach for me. I am still the one preaching but it seems like I am no longer aware of whom might be offended or reached by my preaching. I know that there is power but can't claim it as my power any more than I can claim the love I have for those I am preaching to as my love. It is more than me. It is done with my permission but it is not simply my mind for it is much more sound than mine alone. And, yes, I do lose track of time.

This is why cowardice is not an option for the one fully engaged in their spiritual gifts. Once the commitment is made and the gift is in operation, cowardice is gone. Cowardice is running away from something fearful when confronting that fear is the best action. Cowardice takes away confidence. It is the enemy of acting with God for He challenges the faith of those He walks with. Those who flee cannot walk closely with Him. Their faith remains stagnant.

How many Christians have rarely employed their spiritual gifts and experienced this power, love and sound mind? Only a few can know the fulness of the Spirit because they have been arrested by the spirit of cowardice. They have only counted the cost of acting. They have not counted the cost of not acting. Without the Spirit fanning the flames of the gift, God's call often seems impossible.

This isn't the way it has to be. We all could fan that flame. We all could act in the power, love and sound mind. The world could be turned upside-down again. Fan the flame!

No comments: