Search This Blog

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Predetermined for the Praise of His Glory

I flew a lot of miles this week. I am amazed that planes that get us around the world arrive at their destinations within a reasonable estimation of the time it would take. I watched the plane from Cairo to New York go along a predetermined path and yet almost always be slightly off course. This plane had a monitoring system in each seat which would allow us to watch individual movies, tv shows, play games and watch our progress. I spent a lot of time watching our progress.

Yet, I knew that the pilot could disengage the autopilot at any time. He could have taken a different path than that which was predetermined. I also knew that he would have been putting us all in danger if he did so. Commercial planes are scheduled and routed to bring about the greatest safety. The deviation could result in using up the fuel or entering other air space. I am sure that planes are not allowed to fly over our White House. I believe other countries probably have areas that are just as protected.

God has a will for me and you. It is the best course to take. It will take us through the things we need to go through. It will protect us from things we do not need to get involved with. If we walk in His ways by listening to the Spirit we shall be like a plane on autopilot. Our spiritual autopilot does not know every turn. It is given information by God on a daily basis. It is followed moment by moment. It will be called predetermination if we follow God. It is called free-will when we fail to do so.

I want to arrive safely at my destination. It means following these instructions and fighting all other information which will cause me to deviate. It is my moment by moment walk with the Lord which allows me to do so. It is His revelation of His will for me- for salvation and for living the rest of this earthly life.

Thus, I am created for His glory.

Ephesians 1:9-12 (NIV)
9 And he made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, 10 to be put into effect when the times will have reached their fulfillment--to bring all things in heaven and on earth together under one head, even Christ. 11 In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, 12  in order that we, who were the first to hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory.

No comments: